Come Join Us!
Georgia System Operations is a progressive organization offering opportunities for engineers, technicians, project managers, and more. We’ve been honored with Best Place to Work in Georgia.
Our people-over-profit culture and competitive compensation and benefits packages prove we’re dedicated to retaining the best candidates.
We offer comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage, a strong retirement program, career development, and flexible work schedules. We’re focused on wellness and being a supportive member of the community.
Affordable health insurance options, such as medical, dental, and vision coverage, are available for full-time employees.
Basic insurance for accidental death and dismemberment, long-term disability, and life insurance are available at no cost. Employees can opt to pay for more coverage.
A competitive retirement plan, with company match and company contributions, is available for full-time employees.
We offer many options for our employees’ well-being, including an employee assistance program, an on-site fitness center, and several wellness-focused programs.
Educational reimbursement is available for full-time employees. Employees can also participate in a 529 college savings plan.
Employees can participate in voluntary benefits, covering hospitalization and critical illness, legal and ID theft protection, and pet insurance.
Vacation and sick leave are available for full-time positions via the paid time off program. GSOC is closed for 11 national holidays annually.
We support growth and development for all our employees through an on-site training program, online learning tools, and programs designed to develop industry knowledge.
Our employees are given volunteer paid time off every year to contribute to the community service organization of their choice.
The Telecom and Technical Support Manager role is a unique opportunity to directly support the communications of the largest machine on the planet: the electrical power grid. This area within GSOC centrally operates a state-wide fiber optic network as well as highly secure datacenters with a focus on Georgia power grid operations. This fiber-optic infrastructure is being extended into CLEC and IXC telecom provider services to support rural broadband as a middle mile provider as our EMC's bring high-speed internet solutions to their customers.
- Key Areas of Responsibility include:
- Voice and Telecommunications Programs and Solutions for Enterprise, Control Centers, Generation Plants, EMC Headquarters, and other sites.
- Strategic Contract Management
- Contract Lifecyle, Negotiation, and Maintenance
- Multi-million dollar per year contract portfolio
- Terrestrial, Mobile, Radio, Wireless, and other Contracts
- Telecom Provisioning, Billing, and Customer Service
- Technical Support for Datacenters, Control Centers, and Plants.
- Support Services such as ITSM Work Tracking Systems
- Management of a team of ~10 employees.
- Increase your breadth of experience in technology and grow your leadership skills. through mentorship and excellent leadership development opportunities.
- Unlike many other IT Management opportunities this position does not require travel.
- Gain experience working in a high security utility environment.
- Excellent benefits, including:
- Nationally competitive pay and incentive.
- Benefits packages including Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability, and Life insurance.
- Outstanding 401k plan featuring a maximum company contribution of 15.5%.
- On-site Fitness Center and Café.
- Associate training and development including options for tuition reimbursement.
GSOC offers the opportunity for career experience in related areas such as IT/OT Architecture, Cyber Security, and Industrial Control Systems, with programs that include tuition reimbursement for college and paid training for relevant certifications. GSOC is dedicated to the development of its employees and maintains a strong growth-based corporate culture; this is not only a great job with many possibilities but is also an investment in your future.
This position includes nationally calibrated competitive pay, opportunities for growth, mentorship, and great retirement benefits. In 2017, GSOC was recognized as one of the best places to work by Georgia Trend magazine.
GSOC Annual Report:
Georgia Trend magazine:
Provides leadership and tactical direction for GSOC's telecommunications and technical support function including providing support for the FOC phone system, telecom provisioning, telecom billing, a technical support for GSOC system operations as well as OPC and GTC as needed. Serves as technical expert on telecommunications and technical support matters and provides input to Executive Management on the overall strategic direction. This position is directly accountable for the timely completion of high quality products and services in addition to budget management, performance management, personnel development, resource utilization, technical directions, and team dynamics. Responsible for overall corporate compliance with all NERC CIP standards. Ensures staff compliance with all applicable laws, regulations, industry standards, corporate policies, guidelines and procedures, including but not limited to, RUS, OSHA, NERC, FERC and ITS requirements. Promotes an environment of compliance and continuous improvement to meet the Corporation's goals and objectives. Develops and maintains a highly qualified and motivated workforce that supports the corporate mission, goals, and objectives.
- Manages the Telecommunications and Technical Support department in support of the Corporation's mission, goals, and objectives, including policies, standards, procedures, guidelines, and tactical planning initiatives to ensure benefits to Members. The areas encompassed include, but are not limited to, the development and implementation of the annual work plan, capital improvement projects, and NERC CIP compliance evidence to ensure high quality, compliant, and reliable systems to support the operations of the system and energy control centers.
- Represents the Corporation's interests in telecommunications and technical support issues both internal and external to the Corporation, including issues and negotiations involving FOC functional departments, Members, Integrated Transmission System ITS Participants, regulatory agencies FERC, NERC, SERC, contractors, vendors, and other utilities.
- Creates, implements, and maintains an environment of compliance and continuous improvement.
- Selects, develops, and manages highly qualified and motivated associates. Ensures all necessary performance evaluations, coaching, training, development support, associate relations, and conflict resolution work are done in a satisfactory and timely manner.
- Establishes overall work direction and review of work products. Directs the quality and timeliness of work products. Develops goals and milestones for the Telecommunications and Technical Support department.
- Provides strategic and regulatory support and assistance to Executive Management as requested.
- Provides leadership and support during activation of Conservative Operations, Disaster Recovery, Business Continuity, and the Security Incident Response and Recovery Plans.
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Business Administration, or related field.
Experience: Twelve years' experience in telecommunications program and project management, strategic planning and development, and engineering regarding voice, data, LAN/WAN, and video switched networks and transport. Six years electric utility telecommunications experience. Demonstrated project management in the areas of SCADA communications, frame relay, light wave fiber optics, digital microwave, wireless communications, telephony PBX, voice-mail, computer-telephony integration, and interactive voice response systems, Internet/Intranet, and digital multiplexing and switching systems is required.
Equivalent Experience: Six additional years of experience as outlined above.
Specialized Skills: Strong verbal and written communication skills, excellent organization and time management skills, analytical and creative problem-solving skills, ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships as necessitated by the work.